Sunday, May 8, 2011

Visiting Sulmona

I recently visited a very interesting town in the Abruzzo region of Italy which I have wanted to visit for several years. I was very excited to start planning this trip so I bought a GPS to help me arrive to my destination. Having plugged in the relevant coordinates, I embarked on my journey where I drove fifty minutes until I finally reached Sulmona after stopping at a local cafes for a bite to eat on the way.


When I reached Sulmona, I tried to discover its main characteristics. Sugar coated almonds known as "Confetti" are produced in Sulmona and consumed all over Italy and traditionally given to relatives and friends for all kinds of occasions such as religious celebrations, weddings and other special occasions. Sulmona's confetti is also used as small decorative piece as the local artisans color these sweets and craft them into flowers and other creations.

Sulmona is also known for the birth place of the Latin poet, Ovid, best known for his mythological tales, erotic and love poetry. Two main events in Sulmona to look out for would be the "Madonna che scappa" or the Madonna that runs. This event takes place in Easter where a statue of the Madonna is covered in a black robe and taken on a very quick march on shoulders of young men from Sulmona's Church of San Filippo Neri to the square. The second main event is Sulmona's Jousting Tournament which occurs on the last week of July and the first week of August held in the marvelous backdrop of Sulmona's main square, Piazza Maggiore.

I found that the people of Sulmona are very friendly and helpful and when ever I needed directions to the main interesting sites they were more than willing to help. On the way back home I stopped by a local trattoria restaurant where food typical of the area are served which includes local Parma ham, sausages and cheese which are typical of Sulmona.

Driving home I passed by very beautiful medieval towns and villages and noticed that each village has its own distinguishing feature. What's more I passed through beautiful tiny villages that had been built into the mountains many years ago. I decided to take a detour into one of the villages which had only one coffee shop cum bar one tiny piazza with a very small church and hardly anybody around. After finishing my 80 cents espresso I continued to drive on my way home. My day spent in the villages freed my mind from the tensions of my busy life in the city where you are racing against time.

Daniela runs a vacation rental in [http://www.abruzzo-villas.com/abruzzo/]Abruzzo and offers competitive rates that are as attractive in value than a [http://www.abruzzo-villas.com/last-minute-abruzzo/]last minute Abruzzo hotel deal

Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?Visiting-Sulmona&id=6228719] Visiting Sulmona

No comments:

Post a Comment